France's Mary Pierce, the Australian Open tennis champion, has been speaking about former World number one Steffi Graf at a news conference in Paris (February 14). She says Graf, who, returns to competitive tennis at the Paris Open this week after a three month break, is in good form and playing very well. Pierce, who has been practising against Graf, says her rival has lost some weight but her legs are now even stronger than before. The French number one says she dreams of the top world ranking but knows it will be difficult to achieve. Pierce says reaching her number three ranking has been tough and to be number one would be even harder. Pierce, who has amibitions to win the French Open this year, claims to set herself goals every season, goals which up until now she has managed to achieve.
1) PARIS, FRANCE (FEBRUARY 14, 1995)
1. MARY PIERCE SEATED AT TABLE FOR PRESS CONFERENCE
2. CUTAWAYS OF JOURNALISTS
3. PIERCE SAYING IN FRENCH THAT GRAF IS IN GOOD FORM, LOST SOME WEIGHT, BUT HER LEGS ARE NOW EVEN STRONGER THAN BEFORE
4. PIERCE SAYS SHE DREAMS OF BEING NUMBER ONE BUT KNOWS THIS WILL BE DIFFICULT. REACHING NUMBER THREE HAS BEEN TOUGH AND TO ACHIEVE THE TOP SPOT WOULD BE EVEN HARDER.
5. PIERCE SAYS HER AMBITION THIS YEAR IS TO WIN THE FRENCH OPEN. SHE SETS HERSELF GOALS EACH SEASON WHICH SO FAR SHE HAS MANAGED TO ACHIEVE.
Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved.