The White City stadium was built as part of the Franco-British exhibition. In July 1908 it hosted the Olympic Games. The stadium included running and cycling tracks, an open-air swimming pool and a pitch for football, hockey, rugby and lacrosse. The grandstands accommodated 93,000 spectators. Three thousand competitors from 21 national teams took part in the 1908 Olympics. This was the first Olympic Games to award gold, silver and bronze medals and the first in which all entrants had to compete as members of national teams, rather than as individuals.